Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Block Prints

If you're reading this blog, you're probably aware of Pinterest, aka Wonderful-Image-Overload. Such a great place to find inspiration.


Via Pinterest
I've long been a fan of block prints from India. So intricate. So beautiful. And hand carved. Amazing. The blocks are often as interesting, or even more so, than the great fabric patterns they provide. 

One of my favorite American block carvers is a very creative gal named Katherine Watson. She creates wonderful Indian inspired prints, cards and such. It'd be worth your while to check out here work. 
Via Pinterest

If you've never tried block carving I highly recommend it. For me, it's always been very therapeutic. But be warned and learn from my past mistakes: the blades are super sharp!

Here's a little tutorial I found to get you started on your own cards, prints, or the like: http://papernstitchblog.com/2011/02/24/learn-how-to-block-print/ 


Happy carving!

--kd

No comments:

Post a Comment